Monday, January 18, 2010

Preparing to go to Haiti

Never in a million years did I imagine that the next time I went to Haiti, it would be to a disaster zone.

Never did I imagine that I would ever feel desperate to get there.

Never did I feel so willing to walk away from all that is comfortable here at home, in order to do something purposeful yet uncomfortable. Yes, it will be awful, and dirty, and heart-wrenching. It won't be safe. I might stink and be hungry. Only God can make one's heart long to go to such a place.

When Tom and I prayed on New Year's Eve 2009 that this year would bring a big change, that we would "step it up a notch", i.e. our opportunities to serve, that we could GO somewhere and DO something...little did we know that these prayers would be answered in short order.

The restlessness I've felt for months now to GO and DO is all making sense. God was preparing me for such a time as this. I'm ready, Lord. Send me. My heart and my hands are open and ready to be used in Haiti.

I must go pack now. Jesus, prepare me for what awaits...

1 comment:

  1. Nancy ~

    How powerful our God is that he can place stirrings in hearts with the devotion to "go and serve". I admire the willingness that you and Tom have to be in the middle of devastation but you will also witness miracles, joy and change.

    The prayers of many will precede and follow you all the way to Port-au-Prince and for all that minister at the orphanage.

    The Lord's blessing on you both as you prepare to leave for three months. I wouldn't be surprised if, at some time, He calls you there for much longer.


    Robyn Downing

    ReplyDelete